PHYSICS 6320/7320 (Quantum Mechanics I)
Last updated on
August 16, 2012
Textbook: Quantum Mechanics, by N.
Reference: Mathematical Methods for Physicists, by George B. Arfken;
of Mathematical Functions, Edited by F Olver et al.
Lecturer: Dr. Bo Gao
Office: MH 4021 Phone: 530-4628
MW 3:00 pm-3:50 pm, F 2:00 pm-2:50 pm
Office Hours: MWF 4:00 pm-5:00 pm, or by appointment
Undergraduate QM and working knowledge of matrices and
differential equations are recommended. Some knowledge of special functions is also
- Introduction (Chapter 2, Chapter 3)
- 1-D problems and their applications (Chapter 4)
- Introduction to angular momentum theory (Chapter 5)
- 3-D problems and their applications (Chapter 6)
- Approximate methods for stationary states (Chapter 9)
- Perturbation theory
- Degenerate perturbation theory
- Variational method
- Semiclassical method
- Midterm Exam: After the 1-D problems.
- Final Exam: TBA.
Grades are based on three scores according to the following